Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 13 11 3:42 PM

Tags : :

I was wondering if there have been any requests, or interest, in 1/56 scale aircraft?

I've seen gamers use 1/48 scale model planes, but would there be a market for 1/56 scale, specifically? Since all action in 1/56 scale-28mm is ground-focused, perhaps aircraft that are capable of ground attack would be appropriate. What would everyone think about this, and which aircraft would you like to see released?

--Saginaw

···– VICTORY!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 13 11 8:03 PM

Re: Any requests for 1/56 scale aircraft?

I've thought about this a few times... and I've been eying JohnnyTodds build threads on LAF.

First things that come to mind to me are:
Japanese Float Plane
American Float plane
Fighter from the bLack Hawk Comics

and yes, I've been thinking about an Osprey in 1:56 to go with the Strykers and New Mercedes iFAV models.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 29 11 12:26 AM

A CH-34 Choctaw/H-34 Sea Horse. Not available since the Revell 1/48 kit went oop. Likewise with the Alouette III, both 1/48 kits are oop, the Heller one was out of scale and the Fujimi one wasn't too hot either.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 29 11 2:46 AM

Hmmmmm, I considered doing some Huey's a few years ago when we were first starting on the Sheridan and Ontos. We put that on indefinite hold, since Huey's seemed to be only useful for Vietnam. The CH-34 and Alouette are pretty interesting, and seem to cover a lot of scenarios.

I was also looking into a chopper for the Weird War lineup as well. We'll need to figure out how to get them cast. I would want clear resin on the canopies.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 29 11 8:08 AM

Perhaps a two part fuselage bisected down the centre line, should cut down the amount of resin needed and hopefully cost. Flight deck and forward cabin bulkhead a separate component? For the CH-34 at least. The Alouette would be much easier, but could still follow a similar breakdown. I imagine the rotors would be very fragile in resin though and if possible should be plastic or metal components.

The Huey is fairly well available in a variety of plastic kits. It was widely exported and is probably the most used helicopter around amongst US-aligned states in the last 35 years of the 20th Century and beyond. Only Britain and France are the most obvious nations who didn't use it.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 29 11 3:15 PM

In the weird war category, I would suggest an FA 223 ( twin rotor heli ), there is a Special Hobby model in 1/48 but I find the scale difference to 1/56 a bit jarring when you've got a big visible cockpit. Again I imagine the rotors would be a little problematic, so perhaps providing a template for cutting them from sheet styrene would be a more robust solution without having to try to attach heavy metal rotors to tiny hubs. The FA 223 does present another problem in the form of its glasshouse cockpit, you could cast as a solid lump on which you paint a glass effect or as a 'cage' where you would glue a thin acetate type sheet (or panels) to the back, giving a lot of scope for interior detail (though again it could be rather fragile).

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Dec 29 11 4:19 PM

A Waco CG-4 glider comes to mind. I know Hannants has a vacform Waco kit in 1/48 but it's a bit big...and it's vacform...

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jan 11 12 9:36 PM

All good suggestions. I'll need to work with JTFM on how to produce one. I was thinking about adding a few copters to the Weird War line.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Mar 2 12 4:56 PM

Despite that using aircraft in larger scale (such as 1/56/28mm) often feels a bit 'bolted on', (I've never found rules that felt quite right) there is scope for using ground attack aircraft, so I'd have to put my vote in for planes such as the Typhoon, Sturmovik, P47 & the Ju87 or one of the ground attack FW190 variants. I realise that most or all of these are available in 1/48, but as I've stated before, the scale jump does feel a bit jarring, so a properly sized example would be very welcome.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Mar 3 12 1:50 PM

Hi, Just saw this thread - sorry so late entering the discussion. I've given much thought to building one of my planes as a casting prototype. The main problem I have is that I build my planes from wood with the surface being smooth - all the fine detail I add at the end with paint (flap panel outlines, canopy framework, etc.). I believe most buyers of a resin cast would expect a higher level of detail than I am able or willing to sculpt.

As a sidenote, I had offered a couple of my originals for sale on the LAF forum with no takers. Here's the sturmovik:

The price is $125

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Mar 12 12 3:30 PM

Regarding a Stuka, as an oddball idea, what if you had a kit that could also be configured or repurposed as a Ju-187 Super Stuka? Much of this design's front end and wings looks similar, but you could have a separate tail and cockpit assembly for the a Ju-187 kit. So you do the Stuka, then also do the Ju-187 bits, and design the kit to be sold as either a Ju-87 or Ju-187, with the same front end and wings but different tail and such?

http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/2-A ... 87-287.htm

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Apr 16 12 2:16 AM

The issue with aircraft, is that 1/48 kits are so cheap, it's hard to compete on price. There are also extensive lines of paper models that are very easy to come by.

The best way to do these would sell partially assembled models. They'd also have to be in the $20 - $30 range I'd expect to make any headway on sales. They would essentially e nice looking terrain pieces.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Apr 21 12 4:33 PM

While I agree that the relative cheapness & ease of availability of 1/48th aircraft makes small, 'boutique' production of such a little risky, I think that forums like these probably show that there are a good few people out there, (myself included) who would be happy to pay a little extra for 1/56th versions. As far as them being merely terrain pieces, simple rules for attacking ground targets are far from impossible (though I admit that I don't know of any extant rulesets that go beyond representing them as an abstraction).

Quote    Reply   
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help